MEDMAPS

Dublin Core

Title

Sudöstlicher Theil der Insel Thera

Description

Lithographed map drawn by Paul Wilski.
55 x 52 cm.
Scale 1:10,000.
This map was published in the atlas to the first volume of Hiller von Gaertringen’s excavations in Thera, better known under its mediaeval name of Santorini. This rare work, Thera Untersuchungen Vermessungen und Ausgrabungen in den Jahren 1895-1898, was published in four volumes by Dietrich Reimer in Berlin from 1899 to 1909.

The volcanic island of Santorini has fascinated travellers, archaeologists and historians for centuries. The German archaeologist Baron Friedrich Hiller von Gaertringen (1864-1947) began work in Santorini in 1895 where he carried out excavations for several years, supporting a group of archaeologists at his own cost. The main focus of their work was the excavation of the ancient capital of the island, which is extensive. The ruins of the capital date mostly from the 4th century B. C. The map exhibited here depicts the southeastern part of the island in great detail, showing the location of ancient Thera on the promontory between Kamari and Perissa. Modern archaeological excavation in Santorini is focussed on the late Minoan (ca.1550 B.C.) ruins at Akrotiri.

Source

From Friedrich Hiller von Gaertringen’s account of his excavations in Thera, volume 1.

Publisher

Berlin: Dietrich Reimer, 1899.

Date

1899

Contributor

From the collection of the Cyprus American Archaeological Research Institute (Nicosia, Cyprus) 939.1 Sr The Hil.

Collection

Citation

"Sudöstlicher Theil der Insel Thera," in Digital Library for International Research Archive, Item #10, http://dlir.aiys.org/archive/items/show/10 (accessed November 26, 2014).

Download Files

Geolocation

Share this Item