Message

Error
  • Unable to load Cache Storage: database
  • Unable to load Cache Storage: database
  • Unable to load Cache Storage: database
  • Unable to load Cache Storage: database

Blegen Library (ASCSA-B)

The Blegen Library began in 1888 as a single reading room. An initial addition to the library was dedicated in 1915, and, in 1959, a new wing was added, funded by the Arthur Vining Davis Foundation. A further extension, partially funded by the United States Agency for International Development, was completed in 1991, effectively doubling the space of the library. The collection currently has over 80,000 volumes including more than 500 periodical titles as well as standard electronic resources for research in the classics and archaeology such as the web-based L'Annee Philologique, Gnomon, The Duke Databank of Documentary Papyri, Dyaboloa, JSTOR, Nestor, TOCS-In, WOrldCat, and a number of electronic journals. The Library provides a computer room as well as computer and net links in the main reading room. Over 1,400 readers of all nationalities use the library, totalling some 14,000 reader visits per year. The library is non-circulating, and all books must be consulted on the premises.